This project revisits the code originally created for the Written Images project.
There were some aspects of the code which always frustrated me that I didn't know how to address at the time. In reworking this code, I finally figured out how to deal with large numbers of point lights in GLSL shaders as well as getting a better handle on dealing with the magnetic field itself. Previous versions used a rotation matrix to try and whip and spin the magnetic field into interesting forms. This was not an ideal solution. So I gutted the magnetism code and restructured it so that I wouldn't need to rely on tricks. The results are quite promising.
The project begins with a simple central sphere. Onto the surface of this sphere are placed a large number of charged particles. The charge is random so some are negative and the rest are positive. After giving these forces a few seconds to spread out or coalesce, I freeze the simulation and have each charged particle emit a series of weaker particles whose direction of travel is wholly dictated by the interacting magnetic field surrounding the form.
While the weaker particles trace out strands within the magnetic field, crystalline structures begin to form around the surface-bound charged particles. The stronger the charge, the faster the crystal growth.
These four prints are each a unique 1 of 1. They were created for the GAFFTA benefit gala.