I eventually got tired of additive blending. The next step was to get a handle on how to control object depth and introduce some occlusion. This next image shows my first attempts at using depth testing and depth masking to put some solid objects in the scene. Technically, it is a failure. I have no idea what I am doing and my process essentially involved adding a line of code then removing it and adding another. Over and over until I got something with some promise.
Over the next few months, I continued to refine this code. I created a couple dozen renders of varying success. The following videos are some more successful from the bunch.
Audio by Ganga (Autumn).
My apologies, I do not remember who created this audio. I will credit it properly as soon as it comes to me.
Audio by Royksopp (“In Space” off Melody A.M.)